The big day of Sand Blast Weekend in Asbury Park, New Jersey, opened with the Drag Race and Handbag toss on the Sunset Avenue Beach. Based on the annual Sydney, Australia, Mardi Gras event, seven drag queens filled their handbags with sand and hurled them toward my camera. First place went to a drag queen whose handbag flew over my head and landed behind me. Next was the drag race, where the contestants circled safety cones four times, resulting in a clear winner. The contestants’ poise was inspiring; if they were sweating underneath all their makeup in the nearly 100-degree heat, I couldn’t tell.
Click here to visit the photo galleries of the entire Sand Blast Weekend. Prints, downloads, and products are available for purchase.
Read the other posts in the Sand Blast Weekend series:
1. Sand Blast Weekend’s Main Event: The Beach Party
2. Lost at Sea: The Sand Blast Weekend Kickoff Party
3. Undertow: Sand Blast Weekend’s Opening Night After Party
4. Sand Blast Weekend’s Drag Race and Handbag Toss
5. Siren of the Sea: The Sand Blast Women’s Pool Party
6. Wet: The All Girl Dance Party
7. Sand Blast Weekend’s Deep Blue Dance Party
8. Wrapping It Up: Sand Blast Weekend’s Riptide Pool Party
9. Riptide Pool Party Entertainment
10. Sand Blast Erotica
11. Up and Away with the Elite Trampoline Academy